So I came home from a play last night, casually checked my email, and saw that Amy from Life is a Trip Worth Taking had nominated me for a Liebster Award--an award given to up-and-coming bloggers who have less than 200 followers. Thank you so much, Amy! It's so nice to be recognized!
So the Liebster Award runs on a rule of 11's.
First I tell you 11 random facts about myself.
Then I answer 11 questions that Amy has posed.
Finally, I nominate 11 other up-and-coming bloggers, and ask them 11 of my own questions.
So, here we go!
11 Random facts
1. I have been to nine countries: Israel, Mexico, China, Scotland, England, Belgium, Norway, Germany, and France. I went to China and Scotland for study abroad programs.
2. I am in love with Charles Bukowski. I discovered him in high school thanks to my senior year English teacher. I own many of his books. First year of college I 'dressed up' (it was more of a conceptual costume...) as the book "To Play the Piano Drunk Like a Percussion Instrument Until the Fingers Begin to Bleed a Bit" for Halloween. The title of this blog was inspired by his book "Septuagenarian Stew" and all of the post titles (except this one) come from poems of his.
3. I really like to smell used books. They always smell so delicious and rich with the places they have been.
4. My fourth year of college I took a class called Zymurgy where I learned about the science of fermentation and got to brew beer. Last year I also brewed a Brown Ale with my friend M.S. In short, I like beer. I like drinking it, talking about it, brewing it, etc.
5. I really want a tattoo, but I am so indecisive I don't know what to get.
7. I am a strong woman with strong opinions. I am a feminist, I am liberal, I am pro-choice, I am pro gay marriage.
8. In 6th grade I was so obsessed with The Beatles I refused to listen to any other band.
6. I freaking LOVE Kale. I eat it almost every day.
9. I have a nerdy side that loves anime, Doctor Who, Lord of the Rings, Star Trek, Harry Potter, and Masterpiece Theater.
10. Serial killers fascinate me. In my spare time I like to read Crime Library's Serial Killer section. First year of college I read the Gainesville Ripper's autobiography, fourth year my ex-boyfriend gave me a book about Gilles de Rais for my birthday (he also gave me a bar of chocolate, it really was the perfect gift), and currently I am going through the list of female serial killers on Wikipedia.
11. On this creepy note, I also like ghosts, graveyards, and the paranormal and thus love suspenseful shows like Twin Peaks and old horror movies including anything with Vincent Price, anything by Hitchcock, and the movie Suspiria.
And now I have officially scared away everyone from my blog.
Amy's 11 Questions
1. What was your favorite fairytale as a child? Beauty and the Beast. I collected different picture book versions of this story when I was little and I absolutely loved the Disney adaptation because 1) Belle had brown hair like me and 2) Belle liked to read like me. You guys, BELLE IS ME.
2. What do you enjoy doing on a rainy Sunday afternoon? Rainy Sunday afternoons for me will likely involve tea and a book and then later some Alfred Hitchcock Presents. Also, all of these things will happen under my duvet.
3. How many different towns have you lived in and which one was your favorite? I have lived in Austin, Amherst, Northampton, Hefei (China), Edinburgh (Scotland), Boston, and Berkeley. It is difficult to pick a favorite because all of them have been amazing for different reasons and each one really helped mold me into the person I am. If I have to choose I would say either Austin or Amherst because these are both places that I think are underrated by others and they are both places I still feel the most connected to.
4. Short hair or long hair? Long hair, just because my hair is long. I wish, wish, wish I could pull off short hair though.
5. Are you a morning person? I can be… or maybe I just pretend I am… I really love when I am able to wake up super early, like 7:00 in the morning, because I feel like I get more out of my day, but usually I sleep until 9:00 or 10:00. I guess I am a late morning person?
6. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go? Oh, so many places. Iceland, Denmark, Italy, Greece, Egypt. Or I would go back to Belgium because I am seriously in love with that country (the Dutch side most of all).
7. Dog or cat? DOGS. From the moment I was born there have always been dogs in my life, and now I am obsessed. Also, I have dog ADD. I could be walking down the street having a serious conversation with someone, but the moment I see a dog I completely lose focus and the words "AWW LOOK AT DA PUPPY!" will escape my lips.
8. What was your first job? My first job was working at the transcript office at my college. I worked with a bunch of middle aged women who talked a lot about what they ate for dinner the night before and liked to take chocolate breaks. They were lovely.
9. What is your favorite recipe? Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. An Ari specialty since 2009.
10. Winter or summer? Winter because I love sweaters, hot drinks, holiday cheer, and winter vegetables.
11. When did you begin blogging and why? I began this blog in August because I had just quit my first big girl job and wanted a place where I could write about my life in an attempt to try to figure things out and put things in perspective. I also wanted a space that would help me keenly remember moments in my life, where my experiences and emotions would remain fresh.
I also totally had a Livejournal in middle school and high school, but let’s not go there.
Molly at Molly Swoons ; Julia at Canines and Couture ; Stephanie at Bassability ; Deena From Portland to L.A. ; Bee at Sea Creatures ; Gillian at Glad Blog ; Erin at Plutonia ; Becky at United States of Becky ; Bec at Paper Trailing ; Kayla at Kaylanaut
1. What is one of your favorite quotes? ; 2. What was the best meal you have ever eaten? ; 3. If you could travel anywhere in the world where would you go and why? ; 4. What do you do for a living, and what would you like to be doing to make a living? ; 5. What do you miss most about your childhood? ; 6. What are five adjectives you would use to describe yourself? ; 7. What is the number 1 song played on your iPod? ; 8. If you could be any fictional character, who would you be? ; 9. What is your favorite joke? ; 10. What accomplishment are you most proud of? ; 11. What is your biggest pet peeve?