Friday, December 21, 2012

On the sidewalk and in the sun

Had a dreamy day with P. on South Congress. We got coffees at Jo's, checked out the vintage offerings, got lost in Uncommon Objects, ate eggplant pizza at Home Slice, soaked up the gorgeous weather, and talked about everything. It was really refreshing to talk to P. about life because we have such similar and somewhat uncommon opinions about certain things. In other words, she gets me.

After walking up and down South Congress for a while we decided to veer off the beaten path and try a French pastry shop I had read about.

photo (2)

The interior was absolutely darling: a small South Austin house converted into a simple and elegant cafe. I came to this place in search of authentic French macarons, and I was not disappointed. P. and I couldn't control ourselves so we got 5 different flavors: Pumpkin, Cardamom Honey Orange, Toasted Almond, Champagne, and Caramel Fleur de Sel. These treats don't come cheap though: just one costs $2.05, so this was definitely a splurge.

photo (1)

You may not be able to tell from the picture but the Champagne macron had a pearl sheen to it. Also, it tasted very strongly of alcohol. My favorite macrons were the Cardamom Honey Orange and the Toasted Almond. For macrons, the texture of the cookie is really important, and while some of the macrons we had were a little dryer then I would have liked, others, like the Pumpkin macaron, definitely had the perfect texture. I also got an iced coffee which I quite enjoyed. It was smooth and strong. One other nice thing about this place is that they have a places to sit outside and there are blankets at each table in case you get cold. I will definitely be venturing here again the next time I am home and find myself with a French macron craving (a craving which occurs more often than you might think).

La Pátisserie
602 W. Annie St.
Austin, Texas 78704
Phone (512) 912-0033

No comments:

Post a Comment